Simpson Hardware Co. was founded in 1951 by the late Carl Simpson, Jr. with the purchase of a store on Broad Street in Camden, SC. Several years later, a second store was opened in Hartsville, SC. After selling the Camden location, Mr. Simpson purchased the Boyle Hardware store in Sumter, SC. That store was opened under the Simpson Hardware name on West Liberty Street in 1961. After one move several blocks away, the original Simpson Hardware in Sumter still remains on West Liberty Street.
In 1963 the Simpson Hardware stores became associated with ACE Hardware. The original store on West Liberty Street was the first ACE Hardware store in South Carolina.
In 1963, a second Simpson Hardware location was founded at the Palmetto Plaza Shopping on Guignard Drive under the guidance of Carl Simpson, III.
Simpson Hardware grew rapidly and moved twice within the shopping center. It settled in its last location there in 1977. With growth, this basic hardware store became widely known for its sporting goods and lawn & garden departments.
The Palmetto Plaza location burned to the ground on April 9, 2000. After several temporary moves, Simpson Plaza Hardware opened in its new building on Wesmark Blvd. in 2004.
We invite and welcome you to visit any and all locations of the family and locally owned Simpson Hardware stores.